Friday, February 27, 2009

The simplicity of the sandwich

I don’t need music, lobster or wine
Whenever your eyes look into mine;
The things I long for are simple and few:
A cup of coffee, a sandwich-and you!

An American author called Billy Rose said that.

It’s been a very hectic week, and I know just what he means.

I have had no time to think or listen to music or open that wine, so I have a very, very short blog post this week, about a very simple pleasure in life.

Whenever I have a week like this, I survive on sandwiches for breakfast.

This is not normal. I usually have two breakfasts, one at 8:30 am, or thereabouts, and another at 10.30 or 11 am.

Hey, I get hungry.

Anyway, back to the sandwiches.

You can create the most magnificent breakfasts from two slices of bread - and a few things in between.

You know what they say? Life is like a sandwich; the more you add to it, the better it becomes.

Here’s what I had yesterday.



* Two slices of dalia (that’s cracked wheat, I think; we get it in the neighbourhood) bread, lightly toasted
* Mustard - sometimes it’s a local mustard, sometimes a grainy French mustard
* Big leaf of lettuce
* Big leaf of spinach
* Chopped olives
* A slice of ham
* Some thin slices of cheese (I usually use a cheese with cumin gouda, called Flanders, made on a farm somewhere on the outskirsts of Delhi)
* A double-fried egg (no runny yolk)



It’s so simple.

Put it together, and my god, there can be no better breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment